How Micellar Water Can Level Up Your Routine
Micellar (pronounced my-sell-er) waters have been popular in Europe for a long time but have become more common in North America only recently.
And while a micellar water might look like water, it is different from water in chemical composition and purpose. More importantly, it could be the secret ingredient to clear and glowing skin.
So what is a Micellar Water?
Also called cleansing waters, micellar waters are cleansers for removing make-up, dirt and oil from your face, but unlike a typical cleanser, you don’t have to rinse it off. One of the advantages of a micellar water is that it cleans while keeping your skin barrier intact and healthy. When your skin barrier is healthy and balanced, your skin is hydrated and plump – giving you that coveted glow.
How do they work?
The name is derived from micelles, which are the tiny spheres of surfactant or cleansing molecules in a water-based solution. The cleansing molecules have a water-loving and oil-loving part, and they rearrange themselves in the water-based solution to form these micelles.
The micelles group together and because the inside of the spheres are oil-loving molecules, they naturally attract make-up, sebum, and impurities like magnets. This lets them clean your skin without stripping it of the natural oils it needs to stay hydrated and healthy, making them ideal for people with sensitive or very dry skin.
And because you don’t need to rinse after using a micellar water, the moisturizing ingredients are left behind to be absorbed. Mild and gentle surfactants are used in micellar waters to efficiently clean skin without over drying.
So when should I use a Micellar Water?
Because they are both effective and gentle, micellar waters can play many different roles in your skincare routine. Here are some new ways to incorporate this versatile cleanser into your busy lifestyle:
- As a make-up remover. Use micellar waters as the first step in a double cleanse. The micellar water can remove make-up, impurities, and old skin cells so that you can get a deeper clean with your ‘regular’ cleanser. For an added layer of skin protection, follow by washing your face with a purifying cleanser.
- As a morning cleanser. Use a micellar water as a quick and easy way to wake-up, freshen and prep your skin for the rest of the routine.
- Post workout. Micellar waters can remove sweat and bacteria from your skin after working out, especially when don’t have the time or access to a shower. This help keep your skin barrier healthy and your pores unclogged.
- Touching up your make-up. Want to refresh your make up without having to redo your eyes? Use a micellar water and then reapply your foundation, powder and blush for a refreshed, dewy evening look.
- Fixing make-up mishaps. Micellar waters and a cotton swab are the prefect duo for helping you to correct lipstick, eye-line or eye shadow mistakes without having wash your face and start over.
- Between sunscreen applications. We know how important it is to reapply sunscreen, but sunscreen on top of sunscreen can sometimes make you feel like your skin can’t breathe. Using a micellar water in between applications will ensure you are keeping your pores unclogged and the sunscreen cleanly applied on your skin.
- After sun. Micellar waters are also a convenient way to cleanse your skin post sun to keep your skin feeling clean, refreshed, and hydrated.
As you can see, micellar waters can play a lot of different and important roles in helping your skin to stay healthy and radiant. And that's step in the bright direction.